Monday, January 26, 2004

Goddam it! This is really pissing me off even though I feel strangely disconnected from it all. It's not personal, it's business. I'm more angry with my employer's stupidity than with feelings of personal effrontery but there you go . . .

My boss has actually been extremely helpful and has done everything that he can to keep me employed. I guess that's partly because it'll be up to him to find and train the new guy, but I appreciate his efforts all the same, I'm sure he would have done it whatever. It's good to know there are some genuine people who try to do the right thing. I need hardly add that he was recently passed over for promotion. Actually of all the boss dudes I've had over the years he is definitely one of the best, both in terms of displaying common sense and in putting up with all my bullshit. It's a pity that as the ranks go upwards they get increasingly dense until you hit the top from whence the decision to dispense with my services has (not) been made.

What's weird is that I'm used to thinking about my work as something that is on-going, something which I create and which only I control and input to. This afternoon I?ve been working on some semantic logic code and it suddenly occurred to me that I will in all likelihood never get to see this stuff implemented . . . someone else will do it . . . I will never know if it works properly or not . . . why am I even bothering?






Senior Management

No comments: