Thursday, October 23, 2003

I watched One Life on the telly last night.

Documentaries about the problems caused in children by abuse, alcohism and drug addiction are not easy viewing material, and neither should they be, and this really brought home the reality without wallowing in the misery.

Very, very thought provoking stuff - made me feel slightly guilty for all the times I've cursed the little bastards that make my commute a pain in the arse.

One interesting aspect that occurred to me is that depite Bianca's [ . . . documentary subject . . . ] abandonement by her Father and in part by her Mother you don't get the feeling that either of these people failed to love their daughter, even though her Father was never actually seen.

Instead it seems that they were simply unable to cope with their own lives and their heroin addictions, and there was simply nothing left over that they could give to Bianca to protect her.

I guess most of us have a lot to be thankful for that we don't even normally think about.

No comments: