Thursday, September 18, 2003

Today is really turning into a non starter. My work is, like, rilly rilly dull. Metadata. I don't mind the concept of it, I just don't want to have to produce the stuff myself. I am after all a 'free text & intelligent categorization' kinda guy and having to manually edit and add words to stuff to make them searchable seems like 17th century suregery - ugly, nasty, and pointless.

Having said that it's also really boring (the metadata) and I don't suppose watching someone have their leg cut off by an entrepreneurial hairdresser was. Imagine it :


Surgeon
Good morning to you Sir. My name is Mr Cakeworthy I shall be perfoming your amputation today.

Patient
I see Sir. . . . and what are your qualifications?

Surgeon
I am priveledged to own my very own set of Sabatiers and I have just this very week acquired a new hacksaw made from the finest Sheffield Steel.

Patient
A new hacksaw you say! That's the stuff - I'll just drag myself on the table here, and then have at me Sir."


Didn't Douglas Coupland once define the concept of the desire to travel in time but only with the benefits of modern medicine? Weird thought - if we were living 200 years ago approximately half the people you currently know would already be dead. Eeesh.

No comments: