Monday, September 22, 2003

Actually we had quite a lot of sensible discussions, along with the usual drivel. I've been kind of envious in the last couple of years of people who have managed to get it together enough to acquire they're own mortagages and property in London. I'm not so much referring to the smug marrieds (®Bridget Jones) who have 2 salaries but those people who managed to do it just on their own.

However I was slightly less envious when someone mentioned that if mortage rates doubled and she couldn't sell her house she would go bankrupt. As she has neither the highest debt nor the lowest salary I wondered how many of the other kids are facing a mountain . . .

A quick straw poll amongst my chums indicated that they are spending about £300 per month just servicing debt not including mortgages.

Frankly I'm shocked. I know we live in a world very much built on credit but all the same . . . .

No comments: