Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Vanessa has spurred me on to write something about the bombings in Madrid, Up to this point I've avoided all reference to this for the reason's outline below (which I commented to Vanessa) :-


Similar problems, except that I just feel it isn't anything that blogging can help at the moment. I don't know what's going on, no-one knows what's going on - who's next, who did it (other than that they might be Moroccan), how do we stop it. What the hell do we do now?? I don't know. Nobody knows one single bloody fact about it. Blogging just seems to be, I don't know, noise almost - not relieving the problem one iota.

I've been listening to the news and simply don't want, however tangentially, to align myslef one iota with the moronic gabbling heads on the telly :-

AnchorWhore : While we've been on air the Spanish Police have said that no stone will be left unturned in their investigation. Lucy Newswhore is on the scene, Lucy

NewsWhore : Yes, the police issued the statement approximately 7 minutes ago, and categorically stressed that the investifgation would cover all aspects of the incident.

AncorWhore : And what does that mean exactly?

And so on and so forth and so on. I don't want to add to the colossal piles of verbiage and speculation that's out there. Let the process identify who was to blame, let us identify what their motives (if any) were. Then let's talk about it. I simply feel that I have nothing valuable to add right now. Talking about something I don't understand yet seems almost like grandstanding to me.

That's just how I feel about my personal situation. It's not an implied criticism of anyone else's decisions. After all that's what blogs are about - letting people speak out if they feel thay're capable of doing so.


So what is there to say now? Terrorism is bad? Al-Quaida is evil? Pretty controversial stuff huh? I simply don't feel I have anythingg to add. How someone could commit such an act is totally beyond me, and beyond all rational people. And what are we going to do about it?? I have no fucking idea whatsoever. We (the 'West' that is) have already invaded Afghanistan and (for reason's that escape me now) Iraq. Where next - Morrocco, Saudi Arabia. Our civil liberties are seriously eroded, imprisonment without charge or trial is accepted in our legal process. Where will it end? Why don't we outlaw Islam? Or kill all Muslims? What's the solution?? This (that is terrorism per se)is a going to become a threat to our entire way of life if we're not careful and there's seemingly not one Goddam thing we can do about it short of turning our cities into military camps or condemning everyone who disagrees with us to prison or death.

Anyone think they know even the smallest part of the answer? Send me a postcard if you do.

No comments: